What if you are involved in a traffic accident
while in Nagoya?

The Nagoya Calendar advises as the following:

1. Write down all pertinent information regarding the other party.

2. Report the accident to the police.
Traffic laws in Japan stipulate that victims of accidents are obliged to report to the police.
A certificate is also necessary to receive any compensation from insurance companies.
Upon arrival at the scene of the accident, the police officer will record the circumstances of the accident,
which will be filed with the Jidosha Anzen Unten Center (Automobile Driving Safety Center).
You can obtain a copy of the certificate by mail by filling in a request form available at the police station.
There is a fee. The center may be reached at (052) 954-8930.

3. Have a medical check up.

4. Hold consultations as necessary.
Beware if the other party evades responsibility and does not negotiate in good faith,
or offers to strike a separate deal.
If you encounter such a situation, you can contact (in Japanese) the Nagoya City Traffic Accident Consultation Office
at (052) 951-6622, or the Automobile Insurance Claim Consultation Center of the Japan Damage Insurance Association
on the 9th floor of the Nagoya International Center.
The association can be reached at (052) 583-9755 between 9:30-12:00 and 1-5:00 pm.