Nagoya Toshogu & Toshogu Festival
Original Toshogu was built in 1617 as a shrine and mausoleum to deify Tokugawa Ieyasu (1543-1616),
the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate (1603-1868), in Nikko, Tochigi Pref.
Now there are many Toshogu shrines including Nagoya Toshogu (Established in 1619).
April 16 (Shinto ritual called Zenjitsu-sai and Bugaku [ourt music and dance]) and
17 (Shinto ritual called Taisai and martial arts meeting)
Nagoya Toshogu Festival was the biggest festival in Nagoya before the World War II.
Nine floats were featured and were gorgeous.
However they were burned during the World War II
and the fantastic festival was disappeared.
Now, the festival is held annualy on April 16 and 17 on a very small scale
with Bugaku court music and dance.
|Toshogu Festival (Before the World War II)|
|16th evening 17:00-20:00|
2-3-37 Marunouchi, Naka-ku, Nagoya
Get off at Marunouchi Sta. on the Tsurumai Subway Line.
Take exit 1.